Google+ Followers

Saturday, 29 March 2014

Dressmaking- Part 1

I am making a dress with a corset style bodice; I have used a pattern to do this, I am then going to change parts of it to customise it into the dress I want. This is the pattern I am using:



The lovely dark brown cotton you'll see in the pictures was bought at the craft show last week, they had tonnes of gorgeous materials! I began my dress by sewing darts into the back panels:



After doing this, I moved onto the bodice of the dress. This is the finished effect of my customized neckline:



I did this by changing the bodice front piece in the pattern, I turned it into a v-neck like shape. To ensure I had a neat finish on the dress, I folded over the raw edges and slip-stitched on the back to make sure no stitching was visible on the right side of the bodice.



I then inserted six eyelets on each side of the v-neck style front. I used a 5mm gold eyelet kit to do this, all the instructions on how to insert the eyelets were included in the kit. I then threaded two long strips of dark brown ribbon through the eyelets, finishing the ribbon by slip-stitching it to the material on the wrong side.




I have sewn all ends of the ribbon to the wrong side of the bodice as I did not want a bow on the dress.



I will let you know about my progress when I have completed more!

Bye for now,

Heather :)




4 comments:

  1. Its looking great! Look forward to seeing how it develops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever especially changing the neckline. I will be putting my order in for a custom made dress soon. It is good to change patterns a little to make them more to your liking. Well done. Love Nan xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Heather. It going to be lovely. I can't wait to see the end result so make sure you post some more pictures ...... well done you.
    Love
    Auntie J
    x

    ReplyDelete